- a highly favored place among, chiefly, the intellectual fringe of students at the college
more or less 多かれ少なかれ
neither more nor less
elect (something [or to do])
- she elected to feel guilty for having seen it, caught it, and sentenced herself to listen to Lane's ensuing conversation with a special semblance of absorption.
hit a stride 本調子になる
like a lead balloon 少しも効果のない
keel over 転覆する；卒倒する
- "I honestly thought it was going to go over like a goddam lead balloon, and when I got it back with this goddam 'A' on it in letters about six feet high, I swear I nearly keeled over."
- "Why what?" "Why'd you think it was going to go over like a lead balloon?" "I just told you. I just got through saying."
- Apparently her self-imposed sentence of unadulterated good-listenership had been fully seved.
mot juste [mou ʒjúst] （仏）至言、適切な言葉